The Greenhills-Forest Park Kiwanis club was chartered by Kiwanis International on March 31, 1954. We started with the title, Kiwanis Club of Greenhills and had 29 charter members. The former Northern Hills Kiwanis,since known as Northwest Kiwanis, was our sponsoring club. Roy Porter, their president, was key in guiding the fledgling club through the chartering process. On June 1, 1954 a gala chartering party was held at the Netherland Plaza Hotel. By that time, another eight members had joined the club. Ray A. Young, Superintendent of the Greenhills School District, presided as the club's first president.
As a result of rapid growth in the area, the charter was amended to include the City of Forest Park and we became the Kiwanis Club of Greenhills-Forest Park. Today our service area includes part of Springfield Township and is defined as generally the same as the Winton Woods School District and the Finneytown School District.
Since its founding, our club has developed a history rich with providing involvement and offering leadership in projects that benefit the community and higher levels of the Kiwanis organization. More than nine of our members, all past presidents of the club, have served as Lt. Governor of the 6th Division of the Ohio District of Kiwanis International.
Our club's banners proudly carry more than 90 citations awarded by the Ohio District or Kiwanis International for excellence and/or participation in valuable Kiwanis programs and projects.
Through the years our members have given time and effort in many fund-raising activities, earning over a quarter million dollars, all of which has been returned to the community we serve, our division and Kiwanis International causes. Today that money is channeled through five service committees with a total of over 40 budget items, each representing a cause supported by our club.
In addition to our club budget, we also have our own Foundation that is able to award scholarships to students living in the Winton Woods School District.